Peer into the life of a law school graduate/wannabe entertainment lawyer.

Thursday, March 25, 2004

El Producer

Warning: this might be boring to non-musicians

For as long as I can remember, I've been fascinated with all the behind-the-scenes aspects of music. Most musicians just want to show up to a venue or studio and play. But I've always wanted to play AND know the type of microphone someone uses to record a 1975 Leslie cabinet or how Stevie Wonder got Hare Krishners to record the ending of "Pastime Paradise." That's what led me to start my own artist management and concert booking agency. I've recorded and produced a number of music projects in the past 10+ years and I have managed all the bands in which I've played. It's a unique feeling to be behind the mixing console and have as much of a role in the sound as the actual playing. But since I moved out of my parents' house (a/k/a El Paralawyer Studios) and sacrificed all my recording equipment in lieu of an apartment, I haven't felt that same way. Until yesterday.

A young buck (20 year old) client of mine brought 4 guitars into the El Paralawyer Studios II in Apartment 12. My computer has been a biatch lately, so the setup was less than stellar. I played some keyboard and some electronic drums; he played guitar and sang. The ideas were flowing like Guinness on St. Patty's Day...which isn't bad considering we've never collaborated before. I recorded, arranged and edited everything. He departed at midnight after 10 hours of recording and agreed to work together again.

It has not been a very good 2 months. I got laid off, have no money, zero job prospects (I don't count the weekly phone call from a headhunter asking me if I want to be a legal assistant -- i'm not a focking secretary), the company I started in not profitable, and will be moving to a smaller apartment for more money in 6 weeks.

But this morning I woke up and felt something that was long overdue: the feeling that I NEEDED to continue editing and recording yesterday's work. So I have vowed to myself -- and to my neighbors' dismay -- that I will do everything in my power to maintain this feeling. If it means using my 2 hours of free time this summer while studying for the bar to find the right effect for the bridge to a song, so be it. If it means driving 5 hours to produce a 5-song EP with a client that has little shot of signing a record deal, so be it.

Now I have to just convince my girlfriend to let me keep all the extra equipment in the apartment. DOH!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home